The Writers' Cafe

Wednesday, April 19, 2006

Response to Video Shown in Tuesday's Class

This is just a short note for now, but I found the video that we watched in class very useful in understanding the varying writing styles/forms/processes utilized in different cultures/languages/countries. Being a strong advocate of grammar, I found the interview with one of the Oregon professors to be quite enlightening. For the first time this semester, I felt that I understood how grammar can take the back burner, especially in terms of the organic process of writing. The professor said that as long as she understood the idea the student was trying to convey, she was able to overlook the grammatical errors. Although I would still argue for the importance of correct grammar and punctuation, in this international setting, I felt I understood how the traditional, rigid lines of grammar could be bent in order to prevent a classroom full of discouraged writers: Confident students = Successful students.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home